A Greatest Love Affair, Istanbul


I had just finished my last final exam at university. A couple of hours later I was at the airport on my way to Sudan. The summer of 2011 was the first time I traveled alone without the company of my family. I remember arriving to Istanbul for a three hour transit that ultimately became a 24 hour plane delay. I love transforming a bad situation into a memorable experience. I paid my visa fee at the airport, hopped on a taxi and asked the driver in the three words of Turkish—that I have learned from the subtitled Turkish dramas my mother watches religiously—to take me anywhere. It was a beautiful and sunny day. My initial impulse was shopping at the grand bazaar and visiting the historical mosques nearby. Venturing the city on foot I couldn’t help the overwhelming aroma of food stalls in every street corner. It is a dangerous thing I know, but I love street food beyond life. I fell in love with a sesame snack called simit. It resembles a treat my grandmother used to make in Sudan with tea. Turkish simit is different than Sudanese sesame snack. You can enjoy it with various fillings; cheese, olive paste, and spices. "Yummy in my tummy" is an underestimate. If I were to explain it, I think of all the love in the world encapsulated in doughy sesame goodness. I am obviously not exaggerating.

I may have spend far too much time overindulging in snacks and shopping that I did not have time to visit the Blue Mosque or any other major historical sites. But when your tummy is having a love affair, who are you to interrupt it? This was a very abrupt visit and I must return for a real exploration. Being a tourist is lame. This is a beautiful country, famous for its magnificent historic monuments and palaces, its sophisticated old-world culture. It requires a much longer stay to truly appreciate its beauty.

 

About Me

My Photo
Abir Ibrahim
American-Sudanese by the way of Washington, DC. A recount of my travels and now a Peace Corps Journal.
View my complete profile

Disclaimer

All opinions expressed here are mine and mine alone, and in no way reflect the positions of the United States Government or the Peace Corps