Wamasai Shule ya Msingi

Voices of Maasai
Arusha, Tanzania

Wamasai Shule ya Msingi translates to Massai Primary School. Last summer (2012), Georgetown University granted me the opportunity to spend three months in Tanzania. It was an overwhelming experience. I learned to speak a language that almost tastes as sweet as my mother tongue. I fell in love with the food, the history, the weather, and found comfort in the hearts of people who became the only sense of family in a foreign country. Tanzania will always have a special place in my heart. I remember my last week in Tanzania my group traveled to Arusha and spend an entire day at the Maasai village. We were welcomed with traditional Maasai songs and dances. The unique customs and dress will leave you inspired. Maasai are known for their distinctive culture; it is vibrant, bold and exceptional.

We also visited the only Maasai Primary School in the area, encompassing over 15 to 20 neighboring villages. A very small minority of Maasai children receive an education. Maasai are a self-sustainable group that live exclusive from major cities. There is a severe shortage of schools nearby. Transportation is not easily accessible and thus, many children do not have access to education.

This was obviously heartbreaking for me. However, the village that I visited was aware of this and is implementing change to provide every child with an education. I volunteered at the school during the day, teaching children alphabets and numbers. It was heartening, amazing, inspiring and when I left I remember laughing and crying and smiling and crying and I really wanted to stay. For a while longer.

 

About Me

My Photo
Abir Ibrahim
American-Sudanese by the way of Washington, DC. A recount of my travels and now a Peace Corps Journal.
View my complete profile

Disclaimer

All opinions expressed here are mine and mine alone, and in no way reflect the positions of the United States Government or the Peace Corps