On, Cairo

I have been watching the news nonstop since I arrived in Cairo. I hear about a woman being raped at a train station. I take a long bath and sleep with the lights on. I wake up to the sound of laughter and cigarette smoke followed by loud door knocks. I rush and peak through the door to find three men standing. I don’t say a word. The knocking continues and I stand quietly thinking of the worst possible scenario. The men leave and I gather my travel documents and rush to the airport to explain my situation. I’ve been in Cairo for over two days. They tell me I cannot leave Cairo until next week. I am nervous and agitated. One man asks for a “favor” in exchange for a solution. I tell him to go to hell and f* himself. I tell them that I work for an important American organization. That my father knows people who know people…*sigh* I literally use every game in the book to get an immediate flight to Khartoum. My flight was cancelled as a result of a fire breakout at Nairobi Airport. All Kenyan flights, in which I was flying through, are cancelled and no one wants to do their job to transfer my booking. Being a female traveler is often difficult because everyone wants to harass you. I’ve done so much running around since I arrived. Finally, a last minute flight to Khartoum is booked. My luggage is lost somewhere in the chaos but I am relieved and grateful to have arrived safely.

 

About Me

My Photo
Abir Ibrahim
American-Sudanese by the way of Washington, DC. A recount of my travels and now a Peace Corps Journal.
View my complete profile

Disclaimer

All opinions expressed here are mine and mine alone, and in no way reflect the positions of the United States Government or the Peace Corps