Back in Time


I wake up this morning to the sound of school children and the milk vendors on donkeys and sunshine peaking through the window. I have been in Sudan for five days. It is all weddings and photographs and laughter and last minute shopping and cooking up a storm in the kitchen. Wanting to get away from the chaos, I silently grab my camera and leave through the backdoor. I go for a walk with no purpose. No destination. No place to be. 

I walk through the neighborhood I grew up in. Senses unfold with familiar. Overwhelmed with nostalgic memories and shock. I sit under a tree witnessing neighborhood kids play at a distance. They run up to me with curiosity and smiles. And over hopscotch and mango juice I tell them stories about my childhood. How I used to walk through the same streets, back allies and see the same decorative doors.  How I used to visit the small brick house after school and play pretend with the neighborhood kids until sunset. How this will always be home. 

 

About Me

My Photo
Abir Ibrahim
American-Sudanese by the way of Washington, DC. A recount of my travels and now a Peace Corps Journal.
View my complete profile

Disclaimer

All opinions expressed here are mine and mine alone, and in no way reflect the positions of the United States Government or the Peace Corps